Sunday, January 25, 2009

Work boredom

What to do, what to do?

This weekend I have had all night shifts which on most occasions are fine. I work as a casual receptionist at a local hotel here in Albury. It is not the most glamorous job but it allows make my way through uni without to much financial concerns.

This week, being the Australia Day weekend we have been amazingly quite. My eight hour shift seems to never end. The first time I looked at the clock today once I had begun, eighteen minutes had just ‘flown by.’ I’m now two hours into the shift and still crazy bored. I have completed all tomorrows’ preparation, filled ever printer, fax and photocopier with paper, placed maximum staples in all the office staplers. Hmmm what to do now?

I fill enormously guilty about doing nothing (as that is what I’m doing) and getting paid for it but I really don’t know what else I can do. I have been personally delivering all requests to rooms and going beyond what I need to make the guest happy. I’m just trying to fill in each minute…Only five hours and fifty-six minutes to go now. Oh look at that. I have wasted a whole four minutes so far just jotting this down.

Please let it end.

No comments: